Five-Year Estimates Table Tool Instructions
The five-year estimates table tool allows you to retrieve five-year estimates of unbanked and underbanked rates at the national, state, or MSA level, both overall and for various subpopulations. You can use five-year estimates when the single-year estimate does not have enough sample size for the geography or subpopulation of interest.
To start, follow the prompts in the five-year estimates table tool
First, select the Year Range.You may select five-year estimates that cover the 2009-2013, 2011-2015, 2013-2017, or 2015-2019 survey years.
- Unbanked estimates are available for all year ranges.
Underbanked estimates vary across the year ranges as follows:
- Underbanked estimates are not available for the 2009-2013 year range because of changes in the definition of underbanked within this period.
- Underbanked estimates are available for the 2011-2015 year range. A household is defined as underbanked if it had a bank account and used one of the following nonbank products or services in the 12 months prior to participating in the survey: check cashing, money orders, international remittances, payday loans, rent-to-own services, pawn shop loans, or refund anticipation loans.
- Underbanked estimates are available for the 2013-2017 year range. A household is defined as underbanked if it had a bank account and used one of the following nonbank products or services in the 12 months prior to participating in the survey: check cashing, money orders, international remittances, payday loans, rent-to-own services, pawn shop loans, refund anticipation loans, or auto title loans.
- Underbanked estimates are not available for the 2015-2019 year range because, starting with the 2019 survey, households are no longer characterized as underbanked.
Second, select the Geography. Available geographic breakdowns include National, State, or Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSAs).
- To get estimates for a particular MSA, select MSA in the Select Area dropdown box, select a state that (partially or fully) contains the MSA in the Select a State the MSA is Located in dropdown box, and select the particular MSA in the Select MSA dropdown box.
- Select the GET ESTIMATES button to generate the table.
After generating a table on the screen, clicking the Download PDF link or Download Spreadsheet link above the table allows you to save the table as a PDF or spreadsheet (CSV).
Suppose you would like to make a table of 2015-2019 five-year estimates of unbanked rates for the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO, MSA.
Begin by selecting 2015-2019 in the Select Year Range dropdown box. Then select MSA, Colorado, and Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO, as shown below.
- Depicted is a screenshot showing the main tool.
The image of the tool displays the following information:
- 1) Select Year, select year range, 2015-2019
- 2) Select Geography, select area MSA, select a state the msa is located in, Colorado
- 3) Select MSA, Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO
- Two buttons CLEAR and GET ESTIMATES are located below the drop downs.
Unbanked for Nation, 2019 by Selected Household Characteristics
All HouseholdsChange Row Variables or Add FilterDownload PDF Download Spreadsheet
Number of Households (1000s) Number of Households (PCT) Unbanked Has bank account All Households 123750 100 7.7 20.0 67.0 5.3 Race/Ethnicity (PCT) Black 16801 100 20.5 33.1 40.0 6.3 Hispanic 14948 100 17.9 28.5 48.4 5.1 Asian 5882 100 2.2 17.9 73.4 6.6 American Indian/Alaskan 1464 100 16.9 25.5 53.0 4.6 Hawaiian/Pacific Islander 314 100 6.1 25.1 64.5 4.2 White non-Black non-Hispanic 84310 100 3.6 15.9 75.4 5.0 Other non-Black non-Hispanic 31 100 NA NA NA NA Age Group (PCT)
If you’d like to download the table in PDF format, select the Download PDF link above the table (at right).
- Depicted is a screenshot showing a table of Unbanked Households for the Nation, 2019 by Selected Household Characteristics.
- The title of the table is: Unbanked for Nation, 2019 by Selected Household Characteristics. The Subtitle is All Households.
- The image of the table allows the user to filter selected variables in order to create a custom table.
The text introducing the table reads: 'Once you've made your selection, Click "Update Table" to generate a new table reflecting your additional selections'.
- The left column filter is titled 'Default Row Variables'. There is a selection box entitled 'Additional Filter' with two drop down lists and directions on how to select multiple filters by holding the Ctrl key (windows) or the MAC command key ⌘.
Unbanked for Nation, 2019 by Selected Household CharacteristicsChange Row Variables or Add Filter
For additional information, please see the Five-Year Estimates for Table Tool Frequently Asked Questions. Or you may submit a question or a request for technical support..